Physician Licensure Applicants
The Two-Stage Process: Pre-Licensure (Screening) and Licensing
- Look for an email from us with your LIST username and password the first working day after you apply.
- Submit the items listed under the Lacking Reasons tab in LIST. These are the items we expect you to submit or complete, based on your application.
- Use LIST to track receipt of the items.
- In most cases, additional items will be required later. Don’t worry! That’s expected. We just want to make sure you have the basics first.
How long it takes to complete Pre-Licensure depends on you.
41% of FY 10 licensees spent 90 days or less in Pre-Licensure screening.
The average for all was 134 days.
- You’ve submitted all of the documents required for your application in Pre-Licensure.
- Your application has been assigned to a licensing analyst.
- Keep checking LIST. Your licensing analyst will post requests for additional items in the Lacking Reasons section.
|The average time to complete an application once in Licensing was 36 days in FY 10.
- Congratulations! You are ready to be licensed!
- A temporary license will be issued if you requested one.
- Regular licenses are issued twice a month.
- Register your license. You will receive a postcard within 2 weeks of being licensed, with registration instructions.
Two Most Important Things to Know!
- Completing Stage 1 (Pre-Licensure) does not mean you’re eligible for licensure. Only after you complete Stage 2 (Licensing) are you ready to be licensed.
- Visit LIST as often as you can, to check the status of your application and communicate with your Licensing Analyst.
Read more about the process…
- Review the Sample Application.
You need to know what information to have on hand when applying online.
- Apply Online.
On the next business day, check for an e-mail from TMB with your username and password for LIST.
- Review the documentation checklist above and submit those required.
- Find the Supplemental Licensure Forms you need.
- Are you eligible for a Provisional License?
If so, you may want to apply for one.
Use LIST to Check on Your Application
The Licensure Inquiry System of Texas (LIST) is an online communication system for physician licensure applicants. LIST provides detailed explanations of any items required to process an individual’s physician licensure application, and provides a message center where applicants and Board staff can exchange messages. Messages are archived in LIST for later reference.
Pass the Texas Medical Jurisprudence Exam
You must submit your fingerprints for a criminal history background check before your application can move from Pre-Licensure to Licensing.
Additional Reference Material