To return to practice from retired status, a physician must obtain approval of the Board after submitting a written request. Please contact the Registration department for information on the approval procedure.
If the request is granted, it may be granted without conditions or subject to such conditions which the board determines are necessary to adequately protect the public. Requests are reviewed on a case by case basis.
Below are some examples of conditions that may be required (alone or in combination) to return a retired license to an active status:
- limitation of the practice of the requestor to specified activities of medicine and/or exclusion of specified activities of medicine;
- passage of the Special Purpose Examination (SPEX);
- remedial education, including but not limited to a mini-residency, fellowship or other structured program;
- passage of the Medical Jurisprudence Examination; and/or
- such other remedial or restrictive conditions or requirements which, in the discretion of the board, are necessary to ensure protection of the public and minimal competency of the applicant to safely practice medicine.