The Surgical Assistant application fee is currently $315.00, to be submitted in the form of a personal check, cashier’s check or money order payable to the Texas Medical Board.
Surgical Assistant applications are not currently avaliable online. Please download and submit the Surgical Assistant License Application.
The following information is provided to assist you in the application process and is meant to be a quick checklist to assist you in determining your eligibility for licensure. It is not meant to cover all circumstances – only the most common.
Checklist for Eligibility
- An Associate's Degree from a 2 or 4-year institution or greater.
Successfully completed an educational program that meets one of the following criteria:
1) a surgical assistant program accredited for the entire duration of applicant's attendance by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP),
2) a registered Nurse First Assisting program,
3) a Surgical Physician Assistant program or a
4) a full medical school (and receipt of a physician's degree).
- Worked 2000 hours within the last 3 years as a Surgical Assistant.
- Taken and passed one of the three national certifying exams.
- Have a current national Board Certification.
- Have never been convicted of a felony or crime of moral turpitude.
- Are 100% honest and forthcoming in the answers on the application.
All of the above are requirements to become licensed as a Surgical Assistant in Texas. They are not the only requirements but they are the ones which determine if you are eligible for a license.