Current Sunset Review
The Texas Medical Board is currently under Sunset review. The Medical Board underwent Sunset review in the 2016–2017 biennium, and many of the Sunset Commission’s statutory recommendations for the agency passed into law through various pieces of legislation during the 85th Regular Session. However, other recommendations, including the extension of the agency’s Sunset date, did not pass. Instead, during the 85th Legislature, First Called Session, the Legislature continued the Medical Board for two years and placed the agency under Sunset review again.
Through the Sunset review, every Texan has the opportunity to provide input on the mission and operations of the Medical Board. The current Sunset review of the Medical Board will focus on the statutory recommendations identified during the previous review that did not pass into law. If you would like to share any concerns or ideas about those recommendations, please send an email to the address below, use the comment form on the Sunset Commission website, or contact Erick Fajardo of the Sunset staff.
Sunset Advisory Commission
P.O. Box 13066
Austin, Texas 78711
Information about the Sunset process, Sunset Commission meetings, and how to receive Sunset Commission email updates is available at: www.sunset.texas.gov.
Sunset Review Documents for 2018-2019 Review Cycle, 86th Legislative Session
- Staff Report with Commission Decisions (Jun 2018)
- Interstate Medical Licensure Compact (May 2018)
- Self-Evaluation Report UPDATED (Sep 2017)
- Self-Evaluation Report (Sep 2015)
2016-2017 Sunset Review
House Bill 3040 85(R), the bill that contained the Sunset Commission’s statutory recommendations for the Texas Medical Board, including continuing the regulation of medicine, did not pass. Several of the Sunset Commission’s other Medical Board recommendations passed in separate bills, and the commission also adopted five nonstatutory management actions the board must implement:
- H.B. 3040 Burkett (Hinojosa) — Sunset Bill (Not Enacted)
- H.B. 2561 S. Thompson (V. Taylor) — Prescription Monitoring Program
- S.B. 315 Hinojosa (Burkett) — Subpoena Authority and Pain Management Regulation
- S.B. 674 Schwertner (S. Davis) — Licensing Provisions and Elimination of Dual Registration
- S.B. 1625 Uresti (Cortez) — Physician Assistant Licensing and Board Provisions
To access the TMB's Self-Evaluation Report, and reports generated during the agency's review, visit: https://www.sunset.texas.gov/reviews-and-reports/agencies/texas-medical-board.