image of caduceus
Surgical Assistants Registration/Renewal


To activate your license for the first time, you need to pay your first time registration fee within 90 days of your license issue date. To maintain an active license you will need to renew your registration every two years.


Currently Surgical Assistants are not able to register online. Registration forms will be sent out to the mailing address on file at least 60 days in advance of the expiration date.


If you have any questions, please contact the Registration Department at .

  • As of May 2, 2014 the surgical assistant registration fee increased to $557.00 every two years.


    Once the Board has issued you an official license number, you will have 90 days to register and activate your license.  Initial registration is completed via hardcopy forms sent to the licensee shortly after issuance.  Subsequent renewals are currently completed on hardcopy forms as well.


    First Registration Fee $143.75 - $630.38

    The Board assigns a first registration period. These vary in length from 6 to 27 months. First time registration fees are prorated accordingly. Subsequent registrations will be every two years. Even number licenses expire in even number years and odd number licenses expire in odd number years.


    Fee Rates: 

    First registration of 6 months - $143.75

    First registration of 9 months - $213.13

    First registration of 12 months - $282.50

    First registration of 15 months - $351.88

    First registration of 18 months - $422.25

    First registration of 21 months - $491.63

    First registration of 24 months - $561.00

    First registration of 27 months - $630.38

    The current fee for subsequent registrations is $557.00. This rate can be changed by the legislature, however, at any time in the future.


    There is no grace period for the expiration date of an surgical assistant license. Once the expiration date has occurred, penalty fee equal to one half of the registration fee will be added.  After 90 days, the penalty fee will increase to equal a full registration fee. If a license has been expired for one year or longer it will be cancelled.

  • What do I need to do to change the name I use professionally?

    You must provide us with a statement that gives an explanation of your request, a completed Name Change Application form and a notarized copy of the legal document(s) that granted your name change, i.e. marriage license, divorce decree etc.

    Can I give my change of address over the phone?

    No.  However, changes in mailing or practice addresses can now be updated online in most situations.  For those license types that cannot use the online system, a Change of Address form is available, but not required.  Information on the new Change of Address system is available at:

    Can fees be refunded?

    Refunds of application/registration fees are available in very limited circumstances. These fees may be refunded in cases of administrative error by the TMB; applicants who withdraw their applications within 45 days of initial application, licensees who retire or request cancellation within 90 days of paying the fee, or on behalf of applicants/licensees who die within 90 days of paying the fee. A pro-rated refund may be requested for good cause by a spouse or personal representative of an applicant/licensee who has died more than 90 days after paying the application/registration fee. Refund circumstances are addressed in Board rule 175.5(c).

    Do I need to send copies of my CME certificates with my registration?

    No. You will need to provide these documents if you are selected in a random CME audit conducted after each registration period or if you receive a written request from Board staff to present these documents.

    Is there a reduced fee for military licensees?

    No, there is not. However, military personnel, with questions regarding registration or permits, who are being deployed, should contact the TMB.

    Are there any exemptions to the CME requirement?

    Yes. A licensee may request in writing an exemption for catastrophic illness, military service of longer than one year's duration outside the United States, residence of longer than one year's duration outside the United States, or good cause shown that gives satisfactory evidence to the board that the licensee is unable to comply with the requirement for CME. Exemption requests should be submitted in advance of the expiration date of a licensee's permit.

    I just got my license this year. Do I have to complete CME before I register?

    If your pro-rated initial registration is for less than 12 months, you are exempt from the CME requirement until your subsequent registration.

    Is the registration payment due before the expiration of a license?

    Yes. The completed registration application and payment are due on or before the expiration date of the permit. However, you should allow at least 5 working days for the processing of the form, the fee and posting to the computer system.