Information on licensure requirements is available under Board Rules Section Chapter 183, Section 183.14 Acudetox Specialist. The following is paraphrased from that rule; we encourage you to read the entire rule itself.
- Submit application online, and pay the $52 application fee
- Complete a training program in auricular acupuncture for the treatment of alcoholism, substance abuse, or chemical dependency, which:
- is approved by the Medical Board
- is 70 hours in length
- includes a clean needle technique course or equivalent universal infection control precaution procedures course approved by the Medical Board
- Hold an unrestricted and current license, registration, or certification issued by the appropriate Texas regulatory agency authorizing practice as one of the following:
- social worker
- licensed professional counselor
- licensed psychologist
- licensed chemical dependency counselor
- licensed vocational nurse
- licensed registered nurse
provided that such practice of acudetox is not prohibited by the regulatory agency authorizing such practice
- Work under protocol and have access to a licensed Texas physician or a licensed Texas acupuncturist readily available by telephonic means or other methods of communication.